Mr Villetorte needed extra space for their growing family.
House Extension Planning Permission
Planning a house extension can feel like a huge undertaking, not to mention a substantial investment. We've compiled the information below will make the task of gaining planning permission a little easier.
A home extension or addition to your home could be considered permitted development and not requiring an application for planning but would be subject to the following conditions:
- No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
- No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
- No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2016. These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.
- Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
- Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres.
- Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
- Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
- Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
- Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
- Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
- Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
- On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
- On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
- On designated land no side extensions.
Permitted development allowances described above apply to houses, not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Be sure to check with your Local Planning Authority whether permitted development rights apply as they may have been removed. Additional consents may be required if your property is listed or in a designated area.
Why Choose Extra Room?
This is exactly what it means; our staff are the only people who are involved in your project. Extra Room Ltd does not sub-contract your project out to other contractors.
All operatives are employed by Extra Room Ltd we are always contactable by phone and email to deal with any queries or questions that may arise. All of our operatives have an Extra Room Ltd uniform and identification badge so that they are instantly recognisable.
We have very strict guide lines for all projects, all staff must wear the Extra Room Ltd uniform and personal protection whilst at work i.e. boots, high visibility jackets and safety helmets where necessary.
There is a no smoking policy at work and where possible we will provide a discrete portable toilet facility so that your home stays your home with no intrusion. No radios are to be played on your project. We understand that whilst your project is being completed this should not intrude upon your neighbours who are already being submitted to the noise of building works.
Extra Room Ltd provides a full time Project Manager who will be involved from the very start of the project until completion, he will provide all certificates and completion certificates which will then be held in a project file and presented to you at the end. They will also ensure that all site rules are followed and report directly to the Director of the company.
All structural works come with a 10 year no quibble guarantee, of which upon completion of your project you will receive a certificate of guarantee. All other works i.e. plumbing and electrics will come with a standard 2 year guarantee.
Once we have surveyed your project, a quotation with a complete breakdown of costs will be presented to you. This break down will be individually priced so that you can clearly see where your budget will be spent and if at any time you would like to remove an item you will instantly know what the saving will be.
In the event that you decide that you would like to add additional works, these additions will be separately quoted and an instruction sheet issued that yourself and the Project Manager will both sign so that there is no hidden costs and you are in control of your budget at all times.
Before any works commence, Extra Room Ltd will provide you with a break down sheet of all the works to be completed within your project. This includes an empty box at the end of the description, yourself and the Project Manager will go through this sheet and check that you are completely satisfied with the completed works and then tick the box together. At this point you will only have ever paid for works that are fully completed and you will not be asked to pay any monies upfront or before the works are complete.
Further Information for House Extensions
Selected Projects – View All Projects »
Mr & Mrs Hunter needed extra room in their outer space.
Mr & Mrs Edwards needed extra room to provide sanctuary.
A gallery of the finished bathroom at our Chigwell House Extension.
A gallery of Mr Sherratt's extensive bungalow expansion.
A gallery of our extnsive side by side extensions in Harlow, Essex.
A Gallery of our Essex Garden Room/Gym project.
A Gallery of our London Apartment Renovation project.
A Gallery of our Notting Hill Exterior Decoration project.